Moms, are you feeling a little blue lately? If so, you’re not alone. My dog once loved to play outside and now he wants nothing to do with it. He likes to do his business quick, get back inside and burrow under a blanket.
The weather is even too cold for dogs. It is the time of year that many people consider relocating to a warmer state, or at the least desire a trip down south. There’s only one reason for this type of thinking, the current subzero temps, and we have yet to see the worst of it. We’re stuck here until Spring, which arrives in 58 more days. So how does one survive the unbearable cold, stay hopeful and fight off the winter blues?
The only way is to gear up and fight back! Here are the TOP 5 WAYS to fight off the winter blues!
1. Stay active and keep that heart pumping. Join a health club and work out, being amongst other active people is a great motivator and mood lifter. Most health clubs have an indoor pool, which kids love and it’s a nice way to be reminded of what’s coming our way.
2. Embrace the cold! Gear up and get outside. Build a snowman, go sledding, ice-skating, take a sleigh ride or go skiing. There’s plenty of fun outdoor things to do and some of it’s free. Just make sure you bundle up. Is all of this making you feel chilly?
3. Warm-up and explore the inside of your city! Get lost in a library, go to the theater, or visit a museum. You’ll be amazed at the things you can learn!
4. Nothing feels better than being productive. Why not spring clean early and clean out the closets or organize that dreaded basement of yours. Take advantage of the not-so-nice weather outside by getting things done inside. It’s another great way to stay active and you’ll be the first to play when the weather gets nice.
5. Trick your senses into feeling warm and make yourself an island cocktail. My favorite is a Tropical Blast Smoothie consisting of pineapple and coconut. Drink-up this healthy tropical affair and get a dose of Vitamin D, while sitting in a sunny seat of your house. I’ve included the recipe below, so you can whip up this tasty treat in the comfort of your own home.
Tropical Blast Smoothie
1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
1/2 cup milk (coconut, almond or regular)
1/2 cup yogurt (coconut flavored is a bonus)
1 Tbsp coconut flakes (optional, but tasty)
1 cup ice Blend together and enjoy a glass of the tropics!
Try to make the most of your winter and indulge in one of the Top 5 Ways to fight off the winter blues.